We're committed to optimizing our employees’ talents and capabilities
We make every effort to commit to actions that result in a healthier planet for all.
We're committed to maintaining the highest standards of business conduct.
A letter from Rick McVey
MarketAxess teams have come to work every day for nearly two decades with a clear purpose: To open global markets to create more opportunities for the companies, institutions and individuals who depend on them.
That’s important work for many reasons. Three times larger than the global equities market, the $100 trillion-plus global credit market plays a leading role in fueling economic growth worldwide. In that sense, it touches all our lives in some way. Companies turn to fixed income markets to finance expansions that create jobs and innovative products. Individuals and their families rely on fixed income markets to fund their retirement and make it easier for them to achieve financial goals such as buying a home or paying for education. Growing populations in developing economies benefit from the investment capital channeled into their country’s infrastructure, such as roads and schools, as do residents of states and municipalities.
Our growing role in making these markets work better for society and the economy brings with it the obligation to be a responsible corporate citizen. The MarketAxess vision of corporate citizenship has four pillars:
- An enduring commitment to high standards of governance. The true character of a company is demonstrated through the integrity and sense of fairness it brings to the management of its business every day. We strive to make sure that MarketAxess takes into account the interests of all our stakeholders—clients, employees, investors and business partners.
- Helping communities become more resilient. Our responsibilities extend beyond our business to the world’s communities. We focus on supporting projects that promote access to economic opportunity, education and housing. Encouraging our volunteer activities for everyone at MarketAxess, as well as offering financial support to select non-profit organizations, are important parts of our community engagement.
- Prioritizing a strong, diverse workforce. Our people are our backbone. We’re committed to making substantial progress in how we recognize and value the experiences that make each of us unique, from our recruitment processes to each employee’s daily work. MarketAxess recognizes that we can always do more to make our company a rewarding place to work for all.
- Adopting sound sustainability practices across our business operations. Climate change and safeguarding the environment are critical issues for every business. As a global electronic trading network, our environmental impact is primarily in our facilities and energy usage. That’s why we’re taking a disciplined look at our operations’ impact on energy consumption and conservation, water use, GHG emissions and waste, including minimizing plastic and facilitating recycling.
These four pillars support MarketAxess in our core mission: To use our knowledge, creativity and award-winning technology to reduce friction and bottlenecks in this vital, complex market. That starts by exponentially increasing the opportunities for market participants to connect with one another more efficiently and transparently. Every day, our technology helps capital move in, out and around a vast global market faster, cheaper and more safely.
We unlock a range of possibilities for mutual funds, ETFs, pension funds and investment banks to trade when, where and how they choose at competitive prices. This means their clients—individuals, families, institutions and companies—can over time retain more return on their investments and have more confidence in their ability to access their savings and capital when they need them.
Collaboration with our clients will always play a critical role in fulfilling this mission. This collaboration has grown even more important as we enter the next phase of global market development driven by transformative technologies. Our market-leading AI and advanced data solutions stem directly from working with our clients on new tools to achieve speedier market access, reduce costs and improve outcomes for their investors and clients.
The importance of the principles in our four pillars of corporate responsibility can also be seen in the capital markets, where environmental, social and governance factors play an ever more influential role in investment decisions. A significant sign of this change: the volume of green bonds traded on MarketAxess more than doubled in 2019 to $19 billion. That total amounts to 15% of all the U.S.-reported trading in these environmentally supportive instruments, ranking MarketAxess as the largest marketplace for green bonds. That’s just one of many opportunities our company has to be a positive force in global markets as well as in the world’s communities.
Chairman and CEO
How MarketAxess defines sustainability
Sustainability is a business’ ongoing commitment to advance economic prosperity while appreciating and improving the world in which it operates.
MarketAxess recognizes its responsibility as a global corporate citizen to positively impact our employees, customers, environment and communities through demonstrating our commitment to sustainability.
How it works
Axess All’s dynamic model reflects real-time market conditions. A bond appears if:
- At least 3 trades have been reported to TRAX.
- The trades have been submitted by two or more principals.
- A single trade has been published under the TRAX APA
Trade sizes are banded and volumes aggregated.